A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Friday, April 1, 2011

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,

But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

8 My son, hear the instruction of your father,

And do not forsake the law of your mother;

9 For they will be a graceful ornament on your head,

And chains about your neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice you,

Do not consent.


When I read Proverbs I get so much out of it. Not just for myself but things I can pray for my children. I wanted to share some things I got out of Proverbs 1 (April 1) this morning.


The verses above are Proverbs 1:7-10. One of my prayers everyday is for me to grow in wisdom. Verse 7 tells me that the beginning of knowledge (wisdom) is the fear of the Lord. I realize that I need to remember who He is and what He has done for me. My other prayer every morning is for Bryan and the kids to grow in Wisdom that day. The last thing I want to be known as is a fool. The last part of verse 7 tells me that fools despise wisdom and instruction. If I do not follow God's counsel (from His word and from the Godly people He has placed around me) then I will be nothing more than a fool! Ouch! I have tried to remind my children that we don't want to be a fool, therefore we need to fear the Lord, gain wisdom from His word and listen to instruction (and follow God's instructions).


In verses 8-10 I see a huge amount of wisdom and other prayers to pray for myself and my children. I see that I need to be praying for ears to be open so that we can hear the instruction of our father (wordly and heavenly). Verses 8-19 is focusing on Shunning Evil Counsel so when I look at verses 8-10 I see that as a mom I should teach my children that God gives wise counsel through our parents. God has placed me in my children's lives so that I can guide them in the right path and show them the truth of God's Word and how they might live that out. The instruction of the father and the law of the mother is like precious jewels (verse 9). Verse 10 is a warning....If sinners entice you, DO NOT consent. I realize that I need to be praying that my children will be wise and discerning. That they will RUN when sin tries to entice them.


33 But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,

And will be secure, without fear of evil.”


Last verse of chapter 1 is a promise. Wisdom is talking here and she sums it up for chapter one in this final verse. If we listen to wisdom (God's Word) then we will dwell safely and be secure without fear of evil!! WOW! Who doesn't want to live in safety and be secure without fear of evil? That is what I want, sign me up! That is also what I want for Bryan and the kids. The awesome thing is that God's word tells us exactly how to have that. I know that I need to be praying for Bryan, the children and me to have ears to hear God and His wisdom and to follow that wisdom. There is so much for me to glean from Proverbs and so many things I can pray for my children and Bryan and I.


Thank you Lord for Proverbs. I pray that Bryan, our children and I would grow in wisdom and hear Your instructions and not be fools. May You teach me Your ways and may I see how to pray for Bryan and the children. I ask that Bryan, the kids and I would shun evil counsel and cling to Your wisdom, how great it is. Your Word is true and practical, may I soak it up like a sponge. Help me Lord to teach my children your Word and how to live out your word. I love you Jesus. Amen.

No comments: