A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Training



As Isaac was helping with the grass cutting, they ran across this little fellow! Groundhog?


Bryan and I are in full swing of training our children. I am sure most of you have been there or are in full swing yourself. Training, I believe needs to be done in all areas of life not just one.

First, we are training our children to do things around the house. In the pictures above Isaac is learning to cut the grass. He does the trim work while Bryan is doing the big part of the yard. Someday I am sure that Isaac will be cutting the big part of the yard and Bryan will be training Elijah to do the trim work. Sarah is learning to wash clothes. On laundry day she can start a load of clothes all by herself. I know one day she will be ironing clothes while Joanna is starting a load to wash. Keep in mind these are not the only chores they are learning to do, these are just to name a few. The little boys are in training as well. Timothy is learning to clean up his place at the table and Elijah is learning to fold a load of towels and wash cloths. Each child will always be learning (in training) something that they will be able to take with them.


Second, we are training them in education at home. We have been homeschooling all along and have been very blessed. It is a challenge, especially since Joanna has come along and the little boys are needing more one on one attention. We have come along way and I truely feel that God has given wisdom and given guidance in helping me to know how to manage this area of our life. Thank you Lord! Next year I will be doing more school with Elijah and this year I have learned that I need to let Isaac and Sarah do more school on their own.


Lastly, we are to be training in the area of discipline. I am in the middle of reading a book titled "Don't Make Me Count To Three" and it has been a great blessing and full of wisdom! If I had the money I would buy each of you that are in the same season of life as we are (raising children) a copy. Let me be the first to say I DO NOT count! That is the reason I have not read this book sooner. Last week as I was passing through our church's library I saw this book and thought I would check it out because I probably would NOT want to buy it. Well, it is now on the top of my "books to buy" list!! I want to have it available for my children to read when they have children.


The rod and rebuke give wisdom,

But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.

Proverbs 29:15


It is not the rod part that I was missing or lacking on....it is the rebuke (reproff). God has used this book to open my eyes to pulling from God's word in my discipline of the children. For example: When Elijah lied to me the other day I pulled him aside and told him that "God's Word (the Bible) says that we are not to lie. God tells us "Do not lie", He commands it. So Elijah you have disobeyed God and I can not let you continue to disobey Mommy or God." WOW! I never thought about gently speaking to them and using God's word to reveal their heart and the sin that is within. The next time he disobeys in this area I will remind him of what God's word says and then he will receive discipline. Well this has also caused me to have to KNOW God's word, which is awesome! I am so thankful for God leading me to this book and I am looking forward to applying it to our training of our children. I am not real good at expressing my heart but I hope you see what I am trying to get across. I urge you to read the book. I will not do a very good job of explaining it, but maybe I have atleast caused you to be interested. This is a book that points you to God's Word and those are the kind of books I love to read!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

You are doing a great job training Godly children. I love reading your posts. I'm encouraged in traning my boys as I read about your family. You are an awesome mom, Cantina, and I just love you! I'm going to have to check out the book you mentioned. I'm definitely a counter . . . not sure if that is a good or bad thing? You'll have to let me know, or maybe I should just read the book. I always need help with discipline around my house :) Sometimes I get tired and feel like I'm giving up. Thank you for your devotion to the Lord and your family. Such an encouragmet to me! Love you!