A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Homeschool Moment

I wanted to share something that we started this school year, more independent work. When we moved here and Timothy was 1 and Elijah was 3 (more needed attention) I had to do something. I was wearing myself out trying to be right beside Isaac and Sarah doing school and keeping the two (now 3) little ones occupied. Bryan suggested that I let Isaac and Sarah do a good bit of school on their own. WHAT?!! Finally I gave in and tried it. At first it was hard (harder for me). I have realized that Isaac was depending too much on me, so it has been real good for me to take my hand off of him some. Now we work like this....if they have a question they come and ask me but they first try and figure it out on their own. I will check their work and go over whatever they missed. I have been amazed that they have done so well. :) As Bryan and I have talked about this I have come to see that in the long run it is for their benefit to figure things out for theirselves. Over time I have felt such a freedom from not having that "control". Isaac and Sarah can read the directions and do their work, only need mom for support. Next year I will be doing more school time with Elijah and he will need more of my attention so that eventually he will be doing independent work one day. I am such a perfectionist that in the beginning this drove me crazy, but after wise counsel from my hubby and following his lead, I am SO glad I have removed my hand from total control (I am still the teacher just not dictator) of Isaac and Sarah's school. So may I encourage those of you who have older children to give it a try, I really don't think you will regret it. It is a step toward more responsibility and maturity for our children.

No comments: