A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Read Across America Day

The kids making their bookmarks!

Bookmark in a book....

When you are not reading you can have a braclet so you don't loose your bookmark.

Mrs. Sarah reading Underwear to the kids! (She also brought Oh, the places you will go)


Today is Read Across America Day and I thought the kids and I could celebrate too! I just found out Monday about this so I pulled some things together and we enjoyed our Read Day! The reason today is Read Across America is today is Dr. Seuess' birthday! Our day started with Daddy reading with the kids a book of the Bible. Throughout our day I read aloud to the kids and then the big kids had reading alone times. This morning we also made bookmarks that were really cute (see pictures above). My kiddos are always needing a bookmark. Then at lunch our neighbor (Sarah) came over to read to the kids. I had asked her to bring a book if she wanted to and I was so glad that she brought two!! The two books she brought (one was a Dr. Seuess book) were two that my kids had never heard so that was really great!! We read a total of 9 complete books today and then Isaac and Sarah read some of the books they are in the middle of reading (The Mouse and The Motorcycle is one of them). The big kids also researched Dr. Seuess and found some neat facts about him. They found out his real name, birth date, date of his death, how old he was when he died, that he wrote 44 children's books, he was also a cartoonist and how old he would have been today (107)! We really enjoyed our day and I pray that next year we can do even more, maybe make it a Read Week!!
Happy Reading!!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I remember the Mouse & the Motorcycle from when I was a kid!
Logan read to Kenlee & then she read a book to all of us in her "class" last night! :)