A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Words

Saturday night we let the children go out and play for just a moment. It wasn’t long until Joanna had fallen and skint the bridge of her nose and top of her forehead (can you see her booboos in the picture?). She was crying and I was trying to doctor her booboo when I heard another cry. This time it was Elijah. He had fallen on the concrete slab out back and the side of his face was skint along with his knees and hands (see his booboos in the picture?). They were hurt and I was trying to comfort and help.

Joanna and Elijah fell and were hurt and will have scars I am sure, but those hurts and scars are not as deep as the hurt and scars our words can cause. Tuesday night at revival the Preacher was preaching the first part of Ephesians 4:29Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

Corrupt words are dirty words,

Colossians 3:8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.

Pretty point blank there, filthy language is curse words, slang words, vulgar words, etc. As Christians these kinds of words should not come out of our mouths! I fully believe that if these words are not to come out of our mouths then we shouldn’t allow them in our homes either.

Corrupt words are destructive words.

1 Timothy 5:13 And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not.

One of the ways I have noticed people gossiping is through sharing "prayer request". Ouch! If that is the case then we should know that God knows the need and all we should do is share that there is a situation that we would like others to pray for but DO NOT share ANY details!

Corrupt words are devastating words.

These words are words that tear down and destroy. Words such as "your stupid", "your dumb", "your not my child", I think you get the picture. Ask ourselves how would it make us feel if someone said these words to us.

Christians are to prevent corrupt words.

The command in Ephesians 4:29 is to NOT let any corrupt word proceed out of your mouth. God was not asking us to try or telling us that every now and then is o.k. If the words from our mouth do not glorify God or edify others then we must keep our mouth shut! If someone around you is using corrupt words in any form, walk away or let them know that you are not going to listen to that stuff.

I am very ashamed to admit it but I have been guilty of not watching my words with the kids or Bryan. There are times that I am real short in my speech, or have a rough tone in my voice, and times when I have used discouraging words. I have been convicted for some time that this is an area in my life that needs work and God is working on me. I have seen evidence of Him changing me and molding me to be the Mom and wife He wants and needs me to be. With our words we have the opportunity to mold our children’s character, thinking, how they perceive themselves and others, even the way they act. I have noticed when my words are kind and edifying that my children are more kind and edifying to one another. Same goes for our marriage or our church family, words can make or break that marriage or the church. Sarah and I were talking about the sermon on the way home Tuesday night and she said that hurtful words are like writing with a pen, they can’t be erased.

Will you commit with me today to memorize Ephesians 4:29 and to allow God to use our words for His glory and for edifying others?

No comments: