A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cinnamon (Humble) Rolls

For Valentine's Day Sarah got this cooking thing that has 300 recipes. Remember she is my girl that likes to cook. One of the recipes is these delicious looking cinnamon rolls. We thought we would give them a try one night and I learned a whole lot more than just how to make these things.

One of my weaknesses is a lack of self control at times. Well the night that we made these was not the best night but I thought if we don't make them now we may never get a chance. I am always looking for opportunities to spend time with the children doing something they enjoy doing. If it was up to Sarah we would try a new recipe every day! So here we go making these from scratch cinnamon rolls...I am trying my best to let her do as much as possible, Joanna was a little fussy and the little boys were wanting to join in on our cooking adventure. Needless to say there was alot going on around me. We got down to the step where you roll out the dough and sprinkle the filling on it and roll it up. Then when we went to roll it up the dough was sticking and not doing as I wanted it to (remember I am a perfectionist and I wanted every thing to work out perfect). So I threw up my hands (literally) and told Sarah that I was done and if she wanted to finish it she could do it by herself and that I just did not think they were going to turn out and we were wasting our time and had wasted our time. I know what you are thinking "She is crazy". I had lost any self control that I had. So away I went and left Sarah standing there. My daughter stepped up to bat and finished those rolls and they were some really delicious rolls. They did not look like the picture with the recipe but we enjoyed every last one of them. I did go to Sarah and apologize and told her that I had sinned in my lack of self control. The bible says that two of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is self control and patience (Galatians 5:22-23) and I was bearing NO fruit! Sarah said "Mom, when you left me I wanted to cry but I just told myself that I could do this and I would try my best." My heart sank!! I was humbled, my 7 year old daughter had way more self control than I did and I was thankful for her! I pray that this is always on my heart and that God will fill me with the Fruit of His Spirit. I needed these "humble" rolls to show me my sin and to cause me to see my weakness.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I have been there too, my friend . . . lost my self control. I think Sarah had self control in that situation because she has learned it from her mother. I know you had a weak moment, but she has learned from your example and that's why she held it together so well. I think it is good for our kids to see us make mistakes sometimes. They need to learn how to handle mistakes . . . how to apologize, ask for forgiveness, and try to do better. You are a great mom for showing her these things. Love you!

Nancy said...

I love an honesty post! I've had a tough week with Kenlee!! You are a good Mom & she is a precious daughter. She seems like she has such a sweet disposition.
They look delicious & I love the message at the end. It's comforting to hear other Mom's having days like this, too.