A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Homemade Cheese-its

 I saw these Homemade Cheese-its on Pinterest and just had to give them a try. I am so glad I did! They are very easy and really delicious!!
 They are not crispy like the ones you buy at the store. They are soft and NOT full of all those "other" ingredients. :) Yummy...Enjoy!
Homemade Cheese-Its
8oz shredded cheddar cheese (I have used sharp aged white cheddar too)
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used fresh ground whole wheat)
4 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
3 - 4 tbs ice water

1. First, mix together the shredded cheese, salt and the softened butter. (I used sharp aged white cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like. I shredded my own cheese just because I think it has better flavor and melts better, but you can use pre-shredded too to save some time!) Add in the flour and mix until the dough looks like little fluffy clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. (use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form).

2. Divide the dough in two, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a fluted pastry cutter (I used a table knife), cut the dough into about 1 inch squares.

3. Preheat your oven to 375 F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer your little cheese-its onto the parchment paper, make a hole in the center of each with a toothpick. Bake for about 7 - 10 minutes (baking time will depend on your oven, just watch them carefully so they don't burn!), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).

*this is the recipe I got off of Pinterest and I have inserted my adjustments.

No comments: