A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Monday, October 4, 2010

Water and Jesus

When Bryan and I first got married we decided to drink less sodas and tea and to drink more water. We did this for several reasons, 1) being newly married we wanted to know how to pinch our pennies and once we figured up the cost we realized just how much we would save. Especially drinking water when we went out to eat. 2) Water is much healthier for you. WOW of all the health benefits of drinking water! I admit this was a huge change for us both. I hardly remember drinking water growing up, it was mostly tea and sodas. Over the years (14) it has gotten much easier to not have a soda or tea. When we go out to eat we have no problem ordering water, it just is the natural thing for us to do. We have gotten to where when we do drink tea or soda it is a special thing. We make tea or have sodas when we have company or sometimes when we go somewhere to eat. Now it is more of a treat than a necessity.

While we were on vacation I realized something, I feel that God showed me something to relate this to. I did have a soda or two on our vacation, but as soon as I was done drinking that drink I was still thirsty. Almost as if I could not get enough. Finally I would fix myself a glass of ice water and I was satisfied. That was it, just what I needed to cure that thirst I had. God showed me that life with Him is like that. See it is not that tea or sodas are sinful for me to drink, but they don't satisfy me like water does. There are things in my life that are not sinful but they don't satisfy me like Jesus does. Jesus is the water and these other things that I think will satisfy me just don't. Think about it a little further....with Jesus it is the healthiest and wisest choice for us. I know that these other things cost me valuable time, money, energy and are not as satisfying. When I put Jesus first and go to Him to satisfy me I will not be wasting anything and I will be greatly satisfied. Although these other things in my life are not sinful why waste one moment on them when I can go to the One thing that is the GREATEST!!

My prayer is that God will NEVER let me forget this lesson He has taught me and every time I drink a glass of water I will be reminded that Jesus is my water and every time I drink a glass of tea or a soda I will be reminded that those other things in my life are NOT going to satisfy me!

Some verses that come to my mind...
"...but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” John 4:14

And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." John 6:35

Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat upon them,
nor any scorching heat. Revelation 7:16

My challenge to you is for you to look up those verses and read them in context. Meditate on these verses and get to KNOW Him who satisfies!

Is Jesus your water?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That's the TRUTH! What a great lesson!