A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Eating Healthy!

Last week I took Isaac and Sarah for their yearly check-ups. Everything went well except for a couple of things that makes me realize that I need to do a better job of making healthy meals for my family!

I was not raised on healthy food, so this is all new to me. Bryan and I have never been REALLY bad eaters, but let's face it we could do alot better. Years ago I made the adjustment to turkey meat instead of hamburger meat. Our family doesn't eat out alot, but when we do the kids want to go to the golden arches or BK. Ouch!! Never stopped to realize just how unhealthy these places are.

The past couple of days I have been looking at the food in our kitchen and I am amazed at how much of this and that certain things have. An example is that eggs have 215 mg of chelesterol! Never new that! Also 2% milk has 20 mg of cholesterol. I am going to have to pay attention more and do a better job at this!

We like veggies and fruits, but not a huge selection is available in the fall and winter. I will try and do more frozen veggies and fruit than canned. All of my kids LOVE salad and I would have never eaten a salad at their age. Matter of fact I didn't eat my first salad until almost 5 years ago. I will try and make salads more of a part of our meals.

So here I go with a new goal for the fall and winter....make more healthy meals and get more exercise. I am sure as I discover new things that I will post updates as I get a chance. If you know of any healthy (and tasty) recipes or websites to where I can find some, please leave a comment and a link.

I want to teach my children to think about healthy food now instead of when they are my age. I better go, I have lots of researching to do!! :)

1 comment:

Dodey said...

We need to chat.....I've been researching "clean eating", the paleo diet, juicing, etc....all about eating better foods for you, less processed foods, etc....Good for you to dive right in. I am certainly a work in progress, but I keep trying!! Good luck!