A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Monday, June 29, 2009

A nugget of God's truth...

This week I would like to share some more in Hebrews.

For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Hebrews 5:12-14

This verse really spoke to me. In verse 12 the writer of Hebrews is saying that "you ought to be teachers but you need someone to teach you again". Can you hear God saying (lovingly of coarse) "my child I thought you were mature enough to teach (mentor or lead) others but I see that you are not in the fact that you must be taught." And then at the end of verse 12 the writer says "you have come to need milk and not solid food". I know for me that sometimes I want an encouraging message or someone to tell me what I want to hear and not the truth. That is called pampering the flesh. Ouch!! I have come to realize that "milk" is the comfortable and "solid food" is the truth.

Then check out verses 13 & 14. The writer just spells it out...those who partake only of milk are babes but solid food belongs to those of full age. Although the truth is not always easy it is what will make us grow and bear fruit for our Lord. I picture a parent wanting to get their child on to table food but he is kicking and screaming because the milk is so much easier and taste real good. You see God is like that parent He so desires for us to move forward in our walk with Him and for us to do that it may require something that is not comfortable for us but God our heavenly Father knows whats best!! I am ready to give up the milk for solid food so that I can know Jesus greater and serve Him more.

Last part of 14 says "those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil". One way to be on solid food is to exercise our senses, like reading God's Word, Prayer, witnessing, serving, etc. Then and only then will I be able to discern both good and evil. That is something I can't do if I am on milk (comfortable).

O.K. Lord I am ready...what are you serving today?
Lord Jesus, thank you for showing me that You want me to be on solid food so that You can use me to share with and teach others. Those days Lord that I wander back to the milk remind me that the solid food of Truth is where I need to be. Forgive me Lord for those times that I am wanting my ears tickled. I love you Lord!!

Looking to Jesus-
Cantina

No comments: