A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Onions

We visited the Amish and bought some onions. I got three BIG onions for $1. I like to use onion in several of my recipes but it is always time consuming to chop up an onion here and there. Thanks to my MIL, she told be one of the best secrets...cut up a bunch and freeze them!
So if we have got onions from the Amish or onions are on sale at the store I stock up! With Bryan's help we can cut up a bunch of onions in a short time, put them in freezer bags, and freeze them for the next time I need an onion. I will put them in the quart size freezer bags and then place the quart size bags into a gallon freezer bag so that the onions are double bagged. That will help the smell of onion from leaking out. (Thanks Darla for the reminder. :))
I have found it to be easier if I slice them and freeze them. Then when I need chopped onions I just remove the slices and with my Pampered Chef chopper chop up as many as I need. It has saved me LOTS of time in the kitchen having those onions ready to be chopped.

Am I the last person to learn this time saver? :)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Onions have wonderful anti-inflammatory properties! What a great thing to freeze!!

ddamronsmbc said...

Just be sure to double bag because they will leave an odor in your freezer that is hard to get out of your other food.

Cantina Camp said...

Darla,
Thank you for pointing that out! I do that, but forgot to put it on there. I will add that on the post. :)