A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls

Yesterday I posted the steps to making whole wheat bread and rolls. I divide my dough into three sections and with one of those sections I make cinnamon rolls. Thought I would share the "rest of the recipe" for how I made the cinnamon rolls.

For making the dough you will need to go back to yesterday's post here. Then to make the cinnamon rolls you...

Roll out your dough onto a floured surface. Roll it out into a rectangle shape about 1/4 inch thick. Then you brush the dough with melted butter (Sarah is brushing the butter on in the picture below).
Once you have covered all of the dough with butter then sprinkle cinnamon on there. Elijah is sprinkling the cinnamon on in the picture below. (I love those kitchen helpers!)
Once you have enough cinnamon (see picture below for how much we put on) then you sprinkle on some sugar.
I have been using Sugar In The Raw for this and we really like it!
Sorry I don't have exact measurements on the cinnamon and sugar, I just put on what looks like enough to me. You don't want to skimp on these two things. :)
Then you will roll your dough up length wise. Make sure you roll it pretty tight so it won't fall apart. You also want to go slow so if your dough is sticking to the counter you won't tear it.
We use dental floss to cut our cinnamon rolls. Works great but I did forget to take pictures of that. Slide the dental floss under the roll, at about an inch you will criss-cross the floss and pull. It should slice it for you. You want your rolls to be about an inch think. Then place each roll into a greased casserole dish.
Cover the rolls with a kitchen towel and let them rise for about 45 minutes. They should double in size (see picture above).
Then you will bake the rolls at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Then you can ice the rolls with your favorite icing. (Here I used a powder sugar icing)
The roll I took out and iced individually to show texture of roll.

When I made rolls the other day I was out of powder sugar, so I made a yummy brown sugar icing and I can't wait to share that with you! :)

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You could sell those they look so delish! I would buy your first batch for sale!!

Dodey said...

These are BEAUTIFUL!!!! Great Job!!