A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Day of Homeschool...

Isaac working on Math.

Sarah is learning to write in cursive.


Elijah is learning his colors and how to do puzzles.


Timothy is learning to walk!



The kids learned about a mosaic in History and this is ours we made.


I saw on a lady's blog that she posted, what a "Typical Homeschool Day" looks like at her house and I thought it was neat! So I wanted to share with our family and friends what a Homeschool Day looks like at our house.


First of all I would like to say the biggest reason we homeschool is for spiritual reasons. We used to be homeschooling to give our kids a solid foundation and would eventually send them to public school but God has changed our hearts! God has showed us that we are the ones He has called to "Train up our children in the way they should go" (Proverbs 22:6). We see it as training our children for a battle and they must know how to fight before we send them out.


This is our 5th year of homeschooling, if you want to count Isaac's K4 learning. This year I have a 3rd grader, 1st grader, a 2 year old and to date a 5 month old. Our family is early risers so the kids are ready to read to Daddy before he goes off to work. The first thing the kids and I do is Bible. We memorize scripture, learn important things from the Bible (10 Commandments, fruit of the Spirit, books of the Bible, etc.) and play bible games. While Elijah is watching an educational video and Timothy is taking a morning nap the older two and I are learning and reviewing phonics. Both of the older children have a time to spend with Elijah while the other is doing Language. Then as I am tending to Timothy and Elijah, Isaac and Sarah are writing and working on spelling. Isaac gets a chance to "play" with Timothy while Sarah, Elijah and I are preparing lunch. After lunch it is time for Mommy to read and to do science and history. After reading Elijah and Timothy is ready for a nap and Isaac and Sarah get a rest time. Lastly our school day winds down as we learn Math. Learning is never over in the Camp house, we are always learning character traits, how to cook, how to clean, how to tend to others, etc. Doing all this together as a family makes it so much fun and enjoyable.



I will admit not eveyday looks like this. Like today we are in the potty training process with Elijah and Timothy didn't take a good nap this morning. Even I am leaning things and God is working on me to change me.

Lastly I have included below a video from Voddie Bauchum. His book Family Driven Faith is what God used to speak to Bryan and I about the education of our children. I highly recommend the book.

This is my heart,


Cantina


3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow, what a great post! I am still learning a lot about homeschooling and your post has given me some more ideas!!! 'We are doing Science for the first time this year. I have been reading from the Old Testament and other books for History. I love the mosaic. Arts and crafts is the area I am most lacking in!! I hope to get better at implementing it more!! :)

I enjoyed meeting Brian at the birthday party. I hate that you had sick kiddos, I hope everyone is well now. I hope to meet you soon!

Nancy said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job!

The McKinneys said...

Great Job, Cantina! I really enjoyed reading about your day!