A Heart Toward Home

"...But as for me and my house, we will serve (worship) the LORD."
Joshua 24:15

Saturday, January 11, 2014

God gives us...

Beauty for ashes,
Strength for fear,
Gladness for mourning, 
and Peace for despair.*

These words have been on my lips over the past month.We have been busy trying to get things together for the insurance. We have to list about nine things for each content we list that was in our home. It has been overwhelming to say the least. 

 The night of the fire was very scary. Something you never think you will go through and you think you can prepare for it IF it does happen. I had always told myself if there was ever a fire I would get out this, this, and this. The night of the fire I was so worried about getting my family out that getting those "things" NEVER crossed my mind. I didn't even think about getting my purse.  

We had just come home from church and I had drove Bryan's car home that night. As we were racing out the door Bryan went to move his car and we realized that the keys were in my coat pocket in the house. There was NO going in after them. We all got in the van and began backing up to leave and the house was already black. The garage door to the basement rolled up, black smoke rolled out and out came our cat of 8 years scorched. We got her in the van with us and we drove to the top of the driveway.
Bryan was on the phone with a deacon from our church when Isaac and I hollered "Fire" and Bryan called him back when we got to the top of the driveway. He told Bryan it had only been 5 minutes since they had hung up the phone, we looked back and the house was already in flames. We could even hear things exploding. Someone took the cat to the vet for us that night and they had to put her to sleep. We all were very sad to loose her.

It is hard to look at these pictures, retell the details of that night, and list the contents of our home...But this is a time in our lives that we will never forget and I don't want us to forget it. I want us to look back and see God's hand in this and all that He has done.

God's Word says He prunes those that our His so they can bear more fruit. Our prayer as a family is that we will bear more and more fruit for God and for His glory!!

*Song "Beauty to Ashes" by Crystal Lewis

No comments: